Join Paul Burns, President & CEO, Canadian Gaming Association, at Betting on Sports America on December 2 at 11:00am ET
There was exciting news from Ottawa last week as the Federal government announced it would pick up single-event sports betting as a government Bill (Bill C-13). Earlier in November, Ontario’s government announced it would be moving forward with iGaming regulation.
Come hear from the experts who will be working on these important gaming issues on what to expect over the next several months, including Kevin Waugh, MP for Saskatoon-Grasswood and sponsor of the Private Members’ Bill that was instrumental in the Federal government’s decision to intervene on sports betting, Dave Phillips, COO for the Alcohol and Gaming Corporation of Ontario, and Ron Segev, Partner at Segev LLP. The panel will be moderated by Chantal Cipriano, Senior Director, Legal & Compliance for Mazooma.
Federal Government Announces Stimulus Spending and Pandemic Recovery Efforts
The Federal government announced on Tuesday that it is planning a major stimulus program worth as much as $100-billion over three years to help the Canadian economy once the pandemic is under control.
Highlights specific to the gaming industry include:
- An increase to the maximum Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy(CEWS) rate from 65% to 75%, starting December 20 and continuing until March 13, 2021.
- The current subsidy rates under the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidyand the Lockdown Support program, which provides a 25% top-up, will be extended until March 13, 2021.
- For Canada’s hardest-hit businesses, such as tourism, hospitality, hotels, arts and entertainment, a Highly Affected Sectors Credit Availability Program has been created. One hundred per cent government-guaranteed financing for heavily impacted businesses will be provided as well as low-interest loans of up to $1 million over extended terms, up to 10 years. Rates will be lower than those offered in Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP) and beneath typical market rates for hard hit sectors.
CGA Holds Annual General Meeting with Special Guests Tom Mungham, CEO, AGCO, and Duncan Hannay, CEO, OLG
The CGA held a virtual Annual General Meeting on November 24, 2020 and was thrilled to have so many members tune in virtually to find out what the association has been up to this past year as well as hear from specialist guests Tom Mungham, CEO, AGCO and Duncan Hannay, CEO OLG. They are both new to their roles and it was a great way for them to meet the industry and vice versa.
Jean Major Receives the 2020 Industry Leadership and Outstanding Contribution Award
Each year at the Canadian Gaming Summit, the industry gathers to recognize the achievements and successes of its leaders. With the 2020 Summit postponed to June 2021 due to COVID-19, the award for Industry Leadership and Outstanding Contribution was given out virtually instead.
Jean Major, former CEO of the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO), is the recipient of the 2020 Canadian Gaming Industry Award for Leadership and Outstanding Contribution.
|Several CGA Board members paid tribute to Jean’s leadership and career, and Jean also took several minutes to convey his thanks. Jean has now retired to a position leading the Bermuda Casino Gaming Commission and we wish him well.
New CGA Governance Structure and By-laws
Over the past two years, the CGA conducted a comprehensive review of its governance structure and by-laws. The culmination of these efforts was presented at the AGM, with CGA membership unanimously confirming new updated by-laws for the Association:
- Board members will now be elected to serve three year terms with a two term limit; and
- CGA Board composition includes representation from our three membership classes plus a non-CGA member representative.
The CGA has also introduced a General Governance Policy covering the Association’s operational polices and procedures, as well implementing a Canada Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) policy. The final piece of the new structure is the creation of a Nomination Committee with accompanying Rules of Procedure.
Thank you to the CGA Board of Directors for their diligent efforts on behalf of the Association to implement the new governance structure.
CGA Board Confirmed
The CGA is pleased to announce that its entire slate of directors was unanimously confirmed:
Danielle Bush, Miller Thompson LLP
Dean Erlich, Everi
David Flinn, IGT Canada
Ilkim Hincer, Hard Rock International
Carrie Kormos, Gateway Casinos & Entertainment Ltd
Rick Meitzler, NOVOMATIC Americas Sales, LLC
Adriane McGrath, Konami
Bob Parente, Scientific Games Corporation
Robert Scarpelli, HLT Advisory Inc
George Sweny, Flutter Entertainment
Richard Taylor, Niagara Casinos
Shelley White, Responsible Gambling Council
The CGA is here to assist our members and industry colleagues during these difficult times. Pease contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if we can be of help. We hope everyone is healthy and safe. Wear a mask, wash your hands, and practice physical distancing.